October 28, 2008
Fredrik Ljungberg has signed on to be Seattle Sounders FC's Designated Player when they join MLS in 2009.
Seattle now has four players on their roster with Kasey Keller in goal, Sebastien Le Toux of the USL Sounders, and young Gambian midfielder Sanna Nyassi.
My guess is that a major signing by the Rhinos would get more coverage than this is getting. But, Seattle has sizable NFL and major college football news, I guess.
News & Notes:
- Grahame Jones at the LA Times has a piece about how Landon Donovan is looking to leave MLS.
- Jack Bell at the NY Times.com talks to MLS commish Don Garber about the Beckham to AC Milan talks. I like how garber is talking tough.
- Greg Lalas has a piece on SI.com where he says that Beckham's potential move to AC Milan is a slap to the face of MLS. I would say that it isn't any more of a slap than say Landon Donovan looking to move to Europe.
- Ives Galarcep has a posting at SBI.net about how would readers fix the Galaxy. If Landon Donovan leaves, then I would say blow things up, sell Beckham to AC Milan, and try and rebuild this thing from the ground up. The key would be getting rid of all the bloated contracts to stars that LA has collected in the past and instead building the team up like Houston and New England have.
-It's too bad that Shalrie Joseph had backtrack on these quotes about payback on Herculez Gomez. Embrace the hate!
- Steven Goff also talks to Ben Olsen. I hope he can get back on the field next season. He is the type of heart and soul guy that DC (and LA for that matter) needs.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.