October 7, 2009
Since I went over my idea on the process for interviewing potential candidates for the Rhinos head coaching opening on Monday, I'd figure that I'd throw out some potential routes to go to get some good coaching candidates.
If you like what Martin Rennie did in Carolina this year, you might want to look at the four candidates for the USL-2 Coach of the Year and see if they wanted to make the jump to the USL 1st Division.
Richmond's Leigh Cowlishaw is likely too entrenched in Richmond. But, with the questions about the future of the Wilmington Hammerheads, David Irving might be willing to talk. Real Maryland's Anthony Hudson used to be a Wilmington assistant under Irving and Bill Becher has done a solid job building the Harrisburg City Islanders up from an expansion team in 2004.
If you want to go down the Colin Clarke path, former KC Wizards head coach Curt Onalfo would be someone to try and talk to.
It will be interesting to see if Rob Clark talks to any former Rhinos players like Tommy Tanner, Scott Schweitzer, Billy Andracki, Craig Demmin, or Doug Miller about the opening.
And you always have Pat Ercoli that could be in the mix.
Then you have the great unknown with regards to coaches with European experience. Personally, I'd be wary of getting a Ruud Gullit by going down the path of hiring someone with not a lot of US soccer experience.
Now if they could get this guy to take the job.....
News & Notes:
-It appears that the US Soccer intervention may have helped the TOA vs USL situation a bit.
- Since DC doesn't appear too interesting in building a new home for DC United, Baltimore may step up. I wonder how that move would go over amongst the DC United diehard fans?
- Speaking of coach of the year awards, here are the finalists for the USL-1 version for 2009.
- BC Place will get a retractable roof for their MLS club.
- Ridge Mahoney wonders who will step up and lead the US Men's National team. To me, it has to be either Landon Donovan or Tim Howard.
- Hey Dude is back in camp with the Nats.
- Edgar Castillo is nursing a hamstring injury and that explains why he wasn't called into USMNT camp.
- Here is the ref for the US-Honduras game.
- The Rhinos should crib this idea from the NY Red Bulls.
- Brek Shea is downplaying the Fulham rumor.
- Here is a great reason to follow Drew Carey on Twitter.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.