This is one time that I'm proud to say I was dead wrong.
When US Soccer announced the ticket prices for the first leg of the USWNT Gold Medal Celebration tour at Sahlen's Stadium, I was worried that instead of packing the house, it would be half to three-quarters full. Well, Rochester soccer fans, and any other fans traveling here, have stepped up and sold the stadium out.
This should be a very proud moment for what used to be Soccertown, USA.
Perhaps the name needs to be updated to Women's Soccertown, USA or Abbytown, USA.
Rhinos finish in second place and get a weekend off
It wasn't pretty, but the Rhinos got a late Andrew Hoxie goal to win 1-0 over Pittsburgh in the final game of the season. The goal earned Hoxie a place on the USL PRO League Team of the Week and pushed them ahead of Charleston and Richmond who finished the season three points back of the Rhinos.
The Rhinos and Orlando City will sit back and see who they will host next weekend in the semifinals. If the Charleston Battery defeat Harrisburg at home tonight, they will travel to Rochester. If Harrisburg wins, then the Rhinos will get the winner of Richmond-Wilmington.
Also this week, JC Banks won the league's assist title with eight assists in 22 league matches this season.
News & Notes:
- beIN Sport will televise all away USMNT World Cup Qualifying matches.
- Fox Soccer has signed a deal with CONCACAF to broadcast Gold Cup & Champions League matches.
- Grantland had a nice article on the future of pro women's soccer after the USWNT won gold in London.
- MLS is trying to get a soccer stadium built in Queens near Citi Field and the National Tennis Center.
- Could Landon Donovan really hang up his boots after next season?
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.