But, with goals from Abby Wambach and Alex Morgan, they had pulled even at the half and they scored twice more in the second half on a blast from Carli Lloyd and a tap in from Morgan to get a 4-2 win.
The USWNT will face Colombia today without MF Shannon Boxx who came out in the first half against France with a leg injury. Carli Lloyd, who replaced Boxx against France, is expected to get the start.
Rhinos defeat LA 1-0
It wasn't pretty, but the Rhinos were able to make an LA own goal stand up last night at Sahlen's Stadium in their 1-0 win over the Blues. The win puts the Rhinos five points ahead of Charleston for second place in the USL PRO League, although the Battery hold two games in hand over the Rhinos. Orlando City clinched the regular season title with their 4-0 win over Charleston last night.
With Doug Miller and Pat Onstad being inducted into the Rhinos Hall of Fame last night, it was much more of a defensive struggle. The Rhinos controlled most of the play, but they never really forced LA GK Jose Miranda into any huge saves. Although, Rhinos GK Kristian Nicht had a really slow night until he was called upon to make a huge foot save late to preserve the 1-0 lead and get his league leading 9th clean sheet of the season.
Former Rhino Matthew Delicate was named the USL PRO League Player of the Week while Rhinos D Lucas Fernandez & MF Tyler Rosenlund were named to the Team of the Week.
WNY Flash play for their 3rd title in three years today
Another year, another league, another title game for the WNY Flash as they play the Chicago Red Stars at Sahlen's Stadium at 1pm today for the WPSL Elite League title.
The Flash needed a late comeback from 1-0 down in the semifinals against the NY Fury to advance to today's final. Chicago advanced thanks to a 3-1 win over the Boston Breakers in the late game on Wednesday night.
The Flash took both meetings with the Red Stars this season winning 3-0 at home on June 13th and winning 2-1 in Chicago two weeks ago.
If the Flash win today, it would be a third straight title after winning the 2010 W-League title as the Buffalo Flash and last year's WPS title.
News & Notes:
- The MISL's newest franchise in Chicago has unveiled their name and logo.
- If you want to try out for the Syracuse Silver Knights, you have about four weeks to get in shape.
- Chicago also signed F Sherjill MacDonald to a DP deal.
- Columbus has added a DP as well by signing ACrgentine F Frederico Higuain.
- Check out the Back Home segment with Hope Solo as she shows off he sweet house in Seattle.
- US Soccer Daily evaluates year 1 of Jurgen Klinsmann as the USMNT coach.
- Michael Bradley scored for AS Roma in their match against Liverpool at Fenway Park.
- Eddie Johnson's injury time goal gave the MLS All-Stars a 3-2 win over Chelsea.
- Chelsea's Frank Lampard talks about the rumors that he might be moving to MLS.
- With USMNT captain Carlos Bocanegra needing to find a new club, he could be moving from Scotland to Germany.
- The NASL's San Antonio Scorpions made news this week by signing former MLS striker Jeff Cunningham.
- Peter Nowak is taking the Philadelphia Union to court over how much the club owes him after firing him.
- Tony Meola is optimistic about the future of US Soccer. Honestly, it would be more newsworthy if he wasn't.
- Fox Soccer Channel will be airing a documentary called "Being Liverpool" that takes a behind the scenes look at the EPL club. The trailer looks really cool.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.