October 6, 2009
In an interesting development in the power struggle between NuRock/USL versus the TOA, the US Soccer Federation reportedly has stepped in and called a meeting in NY City today to involve the league, the owners, and US Soccer Federation and Kraft Soccer president Sunil Gulati.
There had been reports previously that the TOA had started the process of trying to get a new league recognized by US Soccer and that they had also reached out to MLS.
Given that Gulati has his hands in both the running of the US Soccer Federation and the New England Revolution of MLS, it is interesting that he is the one trying to get the two sides to work things out.
I'm also wondering if Gulati knows that MLS has turned down the TOA's advances for the second time in as many off seasons and that is part of the reason that he wants the USL and TOA to kiss and make up?
News & Notes:
- Paul Mariner would have been an interesting name to toss around for the Rhinos head coaching vacancy.
- It looks like the Wilmington Hammerheads won't be back in the USL 2nd Division in 2010.
- The Carolina RailHawks are already promoting 2010 season ticket packages despite their inclusion in the TOA.
- I would have to answer this question with old YES!!!!!!!!!
- Portland has their MLS 2011 website up and running. I like the 76 weeks countdown clicker.
- It will be interesting to see what happens with this news about the future of the MLS website.
- With Rongen blaming the U-20 disappointment in part on the lack of playing time for his players with MLS getting rid of the reserve league, I wonder if the USL can help give those players playing time in real matches?
- Speaking of the U-20s and playing time, I wonder how much playing time Brek Shea would get with Fulham? I'm guessing less than Eddie Johnson has gotten.
- Andrea Canales does believe that Bradenton has been a success for US Soccer youth development. And I doubt you'll get too many people that would disagree with that take.
- Stuart Holden is getting plenty of run as the replacement for Clint Dempsey versus Honduras.
- Landon Donovan had a nice little chip goal this week for LA.
- Scott Vallow is holding a goalkeeper half day camp on Sunday November 1st at TSE from 1pm to 5pm.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.