May 10, 2011
Everyone that predicted the downfall of the International Division of the USL PRO League guessed correctly.
The USL will re-work the remainder of the 2011 USL PRO League schedule with the three Puerto Rico clubs being removed.
It will be interesting to see what they do with the LA Blues and Antigua. Will they just scrap the divisions and go to a single table.
Whatever happens, this doesn't help the USL reputation as an organization that has standards issues.
WNY Flash reaction to the USWNT roster announcement
Yael Averbuch has a blog post at NY Times.com about the disappointment of not making the US roster, her change in focus to helping the WNY Flash, and now focusing on making the 2012 US Olympic team.
Devo has some quotes from WNY Flash head coach Aaran Lines about Pia Sundhage passing on three of his players. Also of note is that the Flash will be missing Alex Morgan, Marta, Maurine, Christine Sinclair, Kelly Parker, Candace Chapman, Ali Riley, and Caroline Seger to national team duty on Friday when they host the Boston Breakers.
That will certainly test the depth of the squad.
News & Notes:
- The USWNT has landed in Columbus ahead of Saturday's match versus Japan.
- The drama of getting a new home for DC United continues.
- The Home Depot Center in LA will host MLS Cup 2011.
- A reserve league match fixing investigation involving the Montreal Impact? Brilliant!
- It shouldn't surprise anyone that the Portland Timbers have sold out their first four home matches.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.