The US jumped out to an early lead again thanks to a Lauren Cheney goal in the 9th minute. But, France was very dangerous and carried the play for much of the first half. The crossbar came up big for Hope Solo as the US got to halftime with the 1-0 lead.
France continued to push and got the equalizer on a cross that was just over the head of the French forward and it eluded Hope Solo to the back post as she was playing the header to the near post.
But, the US didn't pack it in. Pia Sundhage brought on Alex Morgan and Megan Rapinoe and the breakthrough eventually came. First, it was a Cheney corner kick finding Abby Wambach on the back post and then it was Rapinoe springing Morgan in behind the French defense and the WNY Flash rookie forward clinically chipping the keeper to ice the match.
Up next for the US is the undersog story of the tournament, Japan. The Japanese rallied from 1-0 down to Sweden to win 3-1 yesterday. Sunday's gold medal game will be the third time the US and Japan have played in 2011.
You have to love the US's chances on Sunday. With Abby Wambach on a three game goal scoring streak and the US facing the 2nd smallest team in the tournament, I like the chances that Rochester and the rest of the US will be celebrating yet again.
World Cup Links:
- Devo has coverage of the crowd going wild at Matt Wambach's Back Nine Grill when his little sister scored yesterday.
- Devo also has a quick interview with Abby's sister at Devo's Direct Kicks.
- David Hirshey @ ESPN.com has a new nickname for Abby Wambach.
- Ray @ All White Kit has the things we learned yesterday.
- Giovanni @ Equalizer Soccer recaps how the US got one game away from their third World Cup title.
- Will @ No Short Corners talks about the unlikeliest of finals match ups.
- The Shin Guardian breaks down the US win over France.
- The Original Winger has the US players reactions to the win over France.
- WNY Flash play by play voice Nick Mendola has his unique take on the US win over France.
- ESPNW is already looking at the ramp up to the US-Japan final.
News & Notes:
- The USA 10 Kit says that the USWNT's World Cup run won't save WPS. I have to agree.
- Nate Jaqua led Seattle past LA last night and into the USOC semifinals.
- The USA 10 Kit looks at what to do with Freddy Adu.
- Chris Ryan @ Grantland took in Portland-Seattle over the weekend.
- Third Kit thinks the Red Bulls embarrassed themselves in their USOC Quaterfinal loss.
- Is this Philadelphia Union fans vs front office game the best fundraiser ever?
- The fact that the Red Bulls signed a 38yo GK as a DP cracks me up.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.