August 10, 2011
The cliche goes that you only get one time to make a first impression.
Well, tonight is Jurgen Klinsmann chance to make his first impression as the USMNT coach. Add to that the fact that the opponent in tonight's friendly is Mexico and the interest level in this match is off the charts.
So, here are the boatload of links on tonight's game:
- US Soccer.com has their match preview up.
- The Big Lead talks about how ESPN is giving this friendly the royal treatment.
- Here is the first Klinsmann era edition of Inside the Lines.
- Inside Minnesota Soccer has their match preview.
- Brek Shea is thankful for another USMNT call up.
- MLS Soccer.com has a piece on how the team is totally focused on Mexico.
- MLS Soccer.com looks at the year of change fro Michael Bradley.
- Heath Pearce was surprised by his call up for this match.
- Landon Donovan can't wait for this new era in the USMNT to start.
- MLS Soccer.com's US Notebook looks at DeMarcus Beasley's return to the USMNT.
- The MNT Blog looks at Tab Ramos and Claudio Reyna's history as teammates.
- The MNT Blog looks at the academy influence on the roster.
- The Goalkeeper looks at how the USMNT's old guard is present in the coaching staff.
- The Goalkeeper has photos from yesterday's training session.
- Steven Goff has quotes from Donovan and Klinsmann ahead of the match.
- Steve Davis has a match preview up at SI.com.
- The Goalkeeper has a video about Klinsmann's debut in Philly.
- US Soccer Daily has 7 things to watch for tonight.
- The Original Winger has a link to an ESPN interview with Landon Donovan.
- The Original Winger also has a link to the ESPN studio preview of the match.
- Yanks Abroad looks at how Michael Bradley is optimistic for the future.
- The Shin Guardian has their "Orange Slices" preview of the match.
- Goal.com has their preview of the match.
- The Free Beer Movement has a Klinsmann highlight reel to get you pumped up.
- Yanks Abroad has their preview of the match.
- Tim Howard is calling tonight's match a blockbluster.
- MLS Soccer.com has their match preview up.
- The USA 10 Kit roundtable looks at the unfamiliar names for the US.
- MLS Soccer.com has a poll about whether Klinsmann was right to say that Mexico is better.
- MLS Soccer.com's Armchair Analyst looks at the football life of Jurgen Klinsmann.
- Bruce Arena hopes that people will be patient with Klinsmann as he takes over the USMNT.
WNY Flash with a big game at magicJack tonight
If the Flash can get 4 points between tonight's match at magicJack and Sunday's match at home versus Atlanta, then they will clinch the regular season WPS title regardless of what the Philadelphia Independence do on Sunday in Florida versus magicJack.
- The D&C has a match preview up at their website.
- Here is the WNY Flash.com preview of the match.
- Beau Dure looks at this first ever battle for first overall in the last week of the regular season.
- Also, feel free to stuff the virtual ballot box for your favorite members of the Flash in the WPS Year end awards.
News & Notes:
- MLS Soccer.com and The NY Times Soccer Blog have the breakdown of the announcement that MLS will leave Fox Soccer in 2012 for Versus (which is set to be re-named as the NBC Sports Network) and NBC. The deal includes 4 USMNT matches and 45 MLS matches.
- The 11.ca wonders what this means for Canadian viewers.
- Check out the new mock ups of the upgraded Stade Saputo in Montreal.
- The 24th Minute looks at the drama in Montreal.
- The CCL group stage schedule is set.
- The Big Lead looks at the story of Real Madrid signing a 7 year old.
- The Big Lead also looks at how the London riots are affecting soccer matches.
- MLS Talk thinks it's time that ESPN lets John Harkes go.
- The Shin Guardian thinks that Bob Bradley should pass on the chance to coach Egypt.
- Dirty Tackle has the best hairdos from the U-20 World Cup.
- The USA 10 Kit has five wishes for USMNT players in Europe this season.
- Grantland has their first edition of their EPL primer up.
- France's Auxerre may be after Maurice Edu.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.