Yesterday, everything broke right for the US Women at the Beijing Olympics and they ended up winning their group.
Today, everything broke the wrong way and the US Men will not advance out of group play after falling 2-1 to Nigeria and The Netherlands getting a win versus Japan thanks to a second half PK goal.
The US have no one to blame for their situation but themselves. It started with the stoppage time goal they allowed versus The Netherlands to split to points and it continued when defender Michael Orozco was ejected in the 3rd minute.
The US made it close late thanks to a Sacha Kljestan PK and then Charlie Davies rattling a header off the woodwork.
But, it ended up being too little, too late.
US Open Cup Final Set
DC United dispatched the defending champs New England and Charleston advanced past the Seattle Sounders 4-3 on PKs to set up the first USL vs MLS US Open Cup Final since 1999.
Luciano Emilio scored twice and Santino Quaranta got the game winner early in the second half for DC.
In Charleston, the Battery survived a first half own goal as Randi Patterson knotted things up before halftime. The match was scoreless through regulation and extra time.
Former Rhino goalkeeper Dusty Hudock stopped Sebastien Le Toux and Kevin Forrest to put the Battery through to the final.
News & Notes:
- Alfonso Lorea was named to the USL 1st Division Team of the Week.
- Not only is Bruce Arena getting mentioned for the LA Galaxy job, but so is former DC United head coach and current US U-23 Mens National Team coach Peter Nowak.
- It looks like the Cory Gibbs to LA script is getting flipped. SBI.net is saying that Eddie Lewis will sign with MLS and head to LA with Gibbs landing with the Rapids.
- MLS Rumors.net has a rumor that couldn't be less stunning: Kasey Keller to Seattle.
- Steven Goff is saying the Cleetus to Real Salt Lake announcement could happen any minute now.
- And I almost forgot, the Rhinos play in Montreal tonight! I can't tell you how bad I want the Rhinos to go 2-0 at Saputo Stadium!
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.