July 13, 2011
Today is the day we've been waiting for since Sunday.
US v France with a spot in the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup Final on the line.
Here we go:
- The Salvatore's on Bay Road in Webster is having a viewing party today.
- Check out the ESPN mini movie on Abby Wambach to get your day started.
- Devo talks about how Abby Wambach is a household name.
- Jenna Pel @ All White Kit has a nice story of a fan falling back in love with the USWNT.
- Jeff Kassouf @ Equalizer Soccer and Ray @ All White Kit preview the US-France match.
- Jenna Pel @ Fox Soccer.com has the 10 keys for the US today.
- Jeff Kassouf @ Fox Soccer.com writes about how the Brazil win becomes a footnote if the US doesn't refocus and win today and Sunday.
- Screw you, Sports Illustrated!
- Michelle Smith @ ESPNW looks at how fitness will play a huge role today.
- ESPN looks at the short turnaround the US had between the Quarters and the Semis.
- Grant Wahl @ SI.com looks at how this team is looking to build a legacy of their own.
- Soccer America looks at how the US's prep games are becoming more important.
- The USA 10 Kit has three things to watch for today.
- Jacqueline Purdy @ ESPNW looks at the WPS ties in the US-France match.
- The Shin Guardian has a preview lite for US-France, along with an editorial about how the USWNT could teach the USMNT a thing or two.
- Valenti Sports are giving away an Abby Wambach autographed USA jersey.
News & Notes:
- ESPNW has a Caroline Seger video blog update from Germany.
- Jeff Kassouf @ Equalizer Soccer previews the Sweden-Japan semifinal.
- Devo says get ready for Abby Wambach mania.
- Jeff Kassouf @ Equalizer Soccer looks at the media coverage the US win over Brazil has received.
- The Richmond Kickers went on the road and shocked Sporting KC in the USOC last night by a 2-0 score. They will face the Chicago Fire in the semifinals after the NY Red Bulls didn't take last night's game too seriously and fell 4-0 to the Fire.
- SJ GK David Bingham had a great debut as he scored a goal from 90 yards out early in the Quakes' 2-1 friendly win over West Brom.
- The Portland Timbers have 10 sellouts in a row. Not too shabby. And Jeld-Wen, who has the naming rights to the Timbers' stadium, uses Timbers fans in a new ad.
- The Original Winger has the link to the Matchday 360 video of the Seattle-Portland match from this past weekend.
- Weezer frontman and huge soccer fan Rivers Cuomo has donated $5000 to back Rise and Shine: The Jay DeMerit Story.
- Vancouver signed the first MLS DP from Africa yesterday as the unveiled 24 yo Gambian F Mustapha Jarju as the club's 2nd DP.
- Montreal isn't just cutting players, they have brought back Marco Terminesi.
- It didn't take DeRo long to get revenge on the Red Bulls with DC United.
- The USMNT will play Mexico in a friendly at the Linc in Philly on August 10th.
- I almost forgot at that the Rhinos had a nice 3-1 win over FC NY on Friday night.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.