July 8, 2011
The US was unlucky against Sweden. Add in poor play defensively and more finishing issues, and the US dropped their first ever WWC group stage match and will have to face Brazil in the Quarterfinals on Sunday morning.
It is ironic that left back, a position that has been an issue for the USMNT for a while, could be the USWNT's achilles heel at this year's WWC.
- Dirty Tackle , ESPNW , Inside Minnesota Soccer , Grant Wahl @ SI , The Shin Guardian , and Fox Soccer have match recaps.
- The Original Winger has a link to the US-Sweden Match highlights.
- Soccer America and Jenna @ All White Kit , have US player ratings.
- Soccer America wonders why a couple of calls went the US's way against Sweden.
- Jeff @ Equalizer Soccer has his Stars & Subs for Day 11.
- Ray @ All White Kit looks at things that were learned on Day 11 of the WWC.
- Dan Loney talks about how Abby is still looking at the glass as half full.
- ESPNW says keep the faith in the US team.
- Brazil's coach says there is more to his team than Marta.
- Jeff @ Equalizer Soccer looks at the best players that didn't make it out of group play.
- Nike Soccer's latest Pressure Makes US video looks at Tobin Heath.
- Shannon Boxx gets the USWNT Back Home treatment.
News & Notes:
- Devo has the news that the Rochester Lancers have announced their ownership group and that kids under 12 will get in free.
- D&C.com also have a Q&A with Rhinos D Quavas Kirk.
- Jeff @ Equalizer Soccer looks at the WNY v Philadelphia clash of the top 2 teams in the WPS table. Isn't it weird that the Flash aren't on top of WPS today, even if they have 2 matches in hand?
- The Free Beer Movement is looking forward to Sunday afternoon's Portland-Seattle match.
- WVHooligan , MLS Talk , DailySoccerFix , and The USA 10 Kit have mid-season MLS awards.
- The USOC semifinal match ups are out.
- Barca has a website for their 2011 US Tour.
- FC Tampa Bay and Montreal are making roster moves in the NASL.
- Meanwhile, Carolina is losing their captain to a club in Denmark.
- SBI.net looks at some USMNT club move rumors, including that Roma are no longer trying to pry Clint Dempsey away from Fulham.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.