May 28, 2008
Kick off is about two hours away.
Landon Donovan may, or may not, be getting his 100th cap for the USMNT today.
It looks like Jonathon Spector is out for the US.
And it is only a friendly.
But, it will be interesting to see how this US squad looks on the road against a European powerhouse.
It will also be interesting to see an MLS player on both sides of a game involving the US and England!
News & Notes:
- Louis Arroyave has 5 questions ahead of US-England.
- Tuesday, June 10th is the date for the Rhinos entry into the 2008 US Open Cup tournament as they host RWB Adria of the USASA at PAETEC Park.
- Toronto FC edged the Montreal Impact 1-0 at Saputo Stadium in the opening match of the Nutralite Canadian Championship las evening.
- In US Open Cup play-in action, Columbus defeated Real Salt Lake 2-0 and Colorado dumped a Beckham and Donovan-less LA Galaxy squad 1-0.
- MLS' Seattle Sounders FC will have an XBox 360 Live logo on their jerseys per the Wall Street Journal. The Microsoft sponsorship should shock nobody as Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen is a part owner of the Sounders.
- Philadelphia is not only getting an MLS team, but also the 8th WPS franchise as well.
- I hate it when politics invades sports......
- I also hate it when small minded bigots act like this.
- There may be some positive movement on a stadium for DC United. Imagine what a $150 million budget would have given the Rhinos.....
- DC United's 5'4" Argentine forward Franco Niell may be on his way out of the nation's capital. And with a salary of $150,000, I doubt he's coming here.
- In case you care about NBT Bank's lawsuit versus the former Rhinos owners, the D&C has an update.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.