The TOA is moving forward with the 7 remaining teams (scratch Tampa Bay from the above list) as they are applying to the US and Canadian federations and are looking for a commissioner.
Devo should get a boost of traffic to his blog with all the Big Soccer posts and other blog postings that are pointing to Jeff's rather pointed attack towards the TOA.
The most interesting tidbit I've read today is The Kartik Report saying that the USSF has a requirement that a new soccer league has teams in 3 time zones. That makes Vancouver's participation key as they are the lone Western Time Zone based team. They also have two teams in the Central Time Zone teams in St. Louis and Minnesota (if they can hang on).
With Joey Saputo being named as the Chairman of the Board of Directors of the League to be Named Later, it will be interesting to see who they go after as a commissioner.
If he hadn't just accepted a job back home with the Milwaukee Wave, I would have said that Peter Wilt would have been the best man for the job.
Although, with the Vancouver and Montreal ties to MLS, I wonder if there is someone that is 3rd or 4th in charge at MLS that they might bring aboard?
While I am skeptical as to how far this will go given the issues in Minnesota and the short timeframe to get things up and running, this will certainly add plenty of off the field drama to the off season leading up to the 2010 Rhinos season.
News & Notes:
- The Section 5 Boys Senior All-Star soccer game will be held at MCC at noon on Sunday, November 15th rain or shine!
- The Original Winger has a cooll look at the Sons of Ben, Philadelphia Union's supporters club.
- MLS Rumors.net has a juicy one: Landon Donovan to Celtic.
- It looks like Peter Vermes will get the interim tag removed in KC.
- If it's time to move the Crew out of Columbus, would Rochester ever fit in MLS?
- 3rd Degree.net is saying that FC Dallas has re-signed Dsax McCarty.
- Why would the Crew expose Robbie Rogers in the expansion draft?
- adidas has unveiled their 2010 World Cup jerseys.
- New Austin Aztex CEO Djorn Buchholz did a Q&A at USL Soccer.com.
- It will be interesting to see if Newcastle fans can buy out Mike Ashley.
- I wonder if Pumas' training ground is a hard hat area?
- If you want to support a really cool soccer blog called Pitch Invasion, then buy a scarf!
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.