October 15, 2009
I was ticked off and tired at half time with the US trailing Costa Rica 2-0.
I was happy to see the end result when I watched the game on super fast forward DVR-style this morning.
The fact that T&T got a draw with Mexico and the US finished on top of the Hex standings was the icing on the cake.
So while I am worried about Gooch's injury (Forget you, AC Milan ) and I feel bad for Charlie Davies and his family , I am excited about where the US team is heading into next year's World Cup in South Africa. And a lot of my excitement is due to the US's strong record in non-European World Cup Finals over the past 20 years and how the team did at the Confederations Cup earlier this year.
News & Notes:
- Cross Gavin Wilkinson off the list of potential Rhinos head coaches.
- With Peter Wilt leaving the Chicago Red Stars to return to the Milwaukee Wave of the NISL, I am wondering what more than a few MLS teams were thinking, along with more than a few USL teams. I have to think the ROI on hiring Peter Wilt to run your soccer team is HUGE.
- I love this take from Kartik at MLS Talk about Mexico qualifying for the World Cup. I will go nuts if Mexico is a seeded team and the US is not.
- Here is another thing I agree with Kartik on. Given the injuries to Gooch and Davies, I'm starting to think that the idea of shifting to a 3-5-2 is a good one. Boca-Gooch-Spector in back, Bradley & Jones or Clark at Central D-Mid, Holden & Landon on the wings, Feilhaber as the Center Attacking Mid, and Jozy & Dempsey up top.
- Those Don't Tread boots are siiiiiick.
- Heather Mitts is returning to Philly with the expansion Independence of WPS.
- Dema looks to get back on the field for LA after another injury.
- Red Bull Arena is getting a nice natural grass playing surface.
- Former Rhino midfielder Neto has signed with Crystal Palace Baltimore.
- Minnesota Thunder's owner talks about what lies ahead for the franchise.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.