March 18, 2008
Today is the day that Rob Clark meets with Mayor Duffy and Tom Richards face to face to try and work out all the details of a lease deal for the land that PAETEC Park is built on.
This is just the next step in a multi-stage process that will, if we're are all very lucky, end up with Rob Clark owning the Rhinos and PAETEC Park and the 2008 USL 1st Division season being played.
The toughest part is the timing of everything with the start of the season just 45 days away and the deal could be a couple of weeks from being finalized (although Devo is reporting that an announcement could happen later this week).
Hopefully Rob Clark will take control this week and things can proceed forward as we march to the start of the season and there won't be any major hiccups (like say the Rochester City Council becomes a fly in the ointment) between now and May 2nd.
But with the way this story has unfolded, would anyone be surprised if something crazy did occur?
News & Notes:
- Steven Goff is reporting that Rochester native Jamil Walker may get a look by another MLS team after being waived by DC United. I wouldn't mind the speedy forward spending the 2008 season in Rochester if he doesn't stick with an MLS club.
- MLSNet.com talks about how DC United needs to win at home tonight to advance to the Semifinals of this year's CONCACAF Champions' Cup tournament. The match will be televised live on Fox Soccer Channel starting at 7:30 pm tonight.
- I wonder if Roy Hodgson is hoping that McBride, Dempsey, and Johnson have a book on Tim Howard?
- Here is a sweet picture of the progress that is being made on Real Salt Lake's new stadium.
- Here is a take from across the pond on the State of David Beckham.
- Boom Boom gets a little mention in an article about the latest wave of Cuban soccer defections.
- Amado Guavara may be coming back to MLS. This time, it appears to be north of the border with Toronto FC, per SBI.net.
- Scott Palguta played the full 90 as the Red Bulls Reserves defeated the College of Charleston 1-0 yesterday. The Red Bulls were short players, so assistant coach Richie Williams came on as a sub.
- Greg Lalas uses his latest SI.com column to slam Serie B in Italy.
- Don't look now, but there is another Dombrowski brother trying to make a USL 1st Division roster. Zeke is a non-roster invitee at RailHawks camp where older brother Chad must be helping him along.
- SBI.net is saying that Red Bulls-Barcelona is back on. Sweet!
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.