September 18, 2008
The good news coming out of last night's match is that Scott Palguta and Scott Vallow got the night off, Tiger Fitzpatrick only played 22 minutes, Danny Earls only played 14 minutes, and Steve Guppy only played 8 minutes, and the team should berested up for the playoffs.
The bad news is that the team isentering the playoffs on an 0-2-1 slide.
But as we all know, a coach will get killed for going full tilt down the stretch or letting the foot off the gas if they get bounced early in the playoffs.
If the Rhinos get passed in the standings by Charleston and Seattle and draw Montreal in the first round, that should help seel the $5 playoff tickets the team is selling!
News & Notes:
- Natasha Kai scored the lone goal last night was the USWNT defeated Ireland 1-0. I don't know which is the worse crowd last night: Rochester-Miami FC drawing less than 600 or the US-Ireland game drawing 4227 to Giants Stadium......
- Montreal defeated Joe Public from T&T last night by a 2-0 score. Montreal is the only team that has yet to surrender a goal through three games in the CONCACAF Champions League. Not too shabby for a team that struggled out of the gate this season.
- MLSNet.com has an article about how Mac Kandji is impressing his teammates in New York.
- Perhaps Johnny Exantus isn't headed overseas after all per SBI.net .........
- I wouldn't even say that it will be a somewhat fond farewell to Rice-Eccles Stadium for Real Salt Lake.
- Jack Bell talks about how MLS could eventually expand to 20 teams. And there is no way that I can see Rochester being in that mix.
- KC.com has a piece on how Eddie Johnson is adjusting to playing for Cardiff City.
- Colorado Rapids owner Stan Kroenke may get added to the Arsenal Board of Directors.
- Time.com has an interesting article about what happens when a major corporate sponsor goes belly up. It will be interesting to see how the AIG deal with Manchester United is affected by recent events.
- I wonder if this had anything to do with how things ended up after the Rhinos-RailHawks game on Sunday?
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.