June 9, 2009
The Rhinos open up the 2009 US Open Cup tournament this evening at 7pm at Marina Auto Stadium against the USL 2nd Division's Pittsburgh Riverhounds.
Former Rhino Tenywa "T-Bone" Bonseu has played every minute in all 7 Pittsburgh matches this season and even has a goal on his stat line.
Another player that will be somewhat familiar to the Rhinos will be Sean Cameron. Cameron was in Rhinos camp during the pre-season.
So far this season, Pittsburgh has a 1-2-2 record with 5 goals for and 10 against away from home this season. The Riverhounds are also in last place in the USL 2nd Division.
If the Rhinos can't get some goal scoring confidence tonight.............
News & Notes:
- Real Madrid has spent $92 million to get Kaka away from AC Milan. I wonder if this news will help sell tickets for Real Madrid's games in DC and Toronto? I'm surprised that the Toronto game is at BMO Field and not the Rogers Centre. They could have squeezed the game in on August 6th between the Blue Jays series versus the Yankees and Orioles.
- I like the "Try it, you'll like it" approach. It's just too bad that not every MLS atmosphere is the same as it is in Seattle.
- Peter Nowak is already winning the hearts and minds of Philadelphia Union supporters.
- If you wondered how many people watch the EPL on FSC , here you go.
- Greg Lalas at SI.com says that Bob Bradley earned a reprieve with Saturday's win. That's funny, I never really thought he was on the hot seat.
- The Cleveland City Stars are looking for a new GM.
- Is you wanted to know a little more about FC NY, here is some more info on the team that was announced a couple of months ago.
- A PDL team drew almost 3500 fans over the weekend. Cool stuff.
- DC United's owner loves beating the drum.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.