December 18, 2007
News in the soccer world doesn't stop for people to do Christmas shopping, so here we go:
- CBC.ca has a nice article on Pat Onstad and his 3rd MLS Cup title. It will be interesting to see what happens this offseason as Houston opted not to pick up Pat's two year option and he's currently without a contract.
- Steven Goff on all the news that's set to be announced today. The big pieces are that New York will make the hiring of Osorio as their head coach official and MLS will announce some major roster rules changes for 2008.
- Big Apple Soccer.com has a piece up about the Osorio hiring.
- Steve Goff also has some MLS player news. The piece that I found most interesting was that Alecko Eskandarian is training with Oguchi Onyewu's club, Standard Liege, in Belgium.
- Soccer by Ives talks about who has (Klopas and Hamlett) and has not (Sarachan) interviewed for the now vacant Chicago Fire head coaching job. The Chicago Sun Times has talked to Sarachan about the situation as well.
- Yanks Abroad talks about how DC United goalkeeper Troy Perkins is close to finalizing a deal to move to Norwegian club Vålerenga IF. Seriously, how many players have seen moves to Scandanavian clubs work out in the long run? I would think that a move to a lower level club in a country like Belgium or Holland would be a better move than this one.
- Goal.com has followed up their list of overpaid MLS players with their list of players that deserve raises. Former Seattle Sounder Maykel Galindo heads the list of underpaid MLS players.
- The rumor mill has Liverpool lining up as the 2008 MLS All-Star game opponent. That would make sense given that the game will be played at BMO Field and there are strong Liverpool-Toronto FC ties.
- Martin Rogers says that DC United is better off without Veron. While I'd like to think that was the case, I'll believe it if they can keep Gomez now that they have some cap space burning a hole in their pocket.
- The Houston Dynamo have given Dominic Kinnear a three year extension. I'm surprised that the contract was that short given the results that Kinnear has gotten.
- This Is American Soccer.com has a piece about whether there is a future for an American soccer magazine.
Personally, I loved Striker and MLS Magazine's premier issue left much to be desired. I'll put this idea on my To Do list should I win tonight's Mega Millions drawing.
- For those out there that have a striker or a goalkeeper that they are buying gifts for this holiday season, you may want to check out the Train Like A Champion Holiday Camp that will take place on December 30th. This will be the final camp that Scott Vallow and Matthew Delicate run in 2007.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.