February 2, 2011
First you have the open letter by the NASL Supporters Groups to Sunil Gulati expressing dismay that the USSF has denied the NASL sanctioning.
The one thing that the open letter has me wondering is whether the NASL is in deeper trouble with regards to getting 2nd Division sanctioing for 2011 than some thought last week.
Could the market sizes and locations be an issue? Could it be more than just not having the letters of credit in place like the NASL was saying?
With the USSF keeping relatively tight lipped about what the NASL needs to do to get sanctioned, all we can really do is sit and wait to see what happens. And search the internet for more fun things to read.
News & Notes:
- Let's hope that Marta does some of this in a WNY Flash kit this summer.
- Charlie Davies to DC United? Well, the number 9 shirt is available. I was a DC United fan before they hired Pat Onstad and this is even better news!
- The NASL were the ones that won the eBay auction for the Carolina RailHawks name.
- Don Garber talks about the NY Cosmos and other expansion candidates.
- Could Vancouver lose Omar Salgado to Arsenal?
- FC Edmonton is not helping dispell rumors that they don't have their act together.
- Clint Dempsey is a fashion plate.
- The Original Winger takes a look at former USMNTer John O'Brien.
- Nike has unveiled new Brasil National Team jerseys.
- Eddie Johnson is off to Preston North End on loan.
- The 2011 MLS All Star Game will be played at Red Bull Arena.
- MLS Insider has the first edition of Inside the SuperDraft for 2011.
- SBI.net talks to Oguchi Onyewu about his move to FC Twente.
- Abby's break from the USWNT is over.
- New Red Bull Sacir Hot has one of the best names ever.
- The US-Egypt friendly is off due to the unrest in Egypt.
- Jay DeMerit is taking to his leadership role with the Vancouver Whitecaps.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.