March 2, 2012
Mauricio Salles had a huge game last week with 10 points and the OT power play 3-point goal in the playoff clinching win for the Lancers. That led Salles to be named the MISL player of the week for last week.
The Lancers now get to sit back, heal up, and watch the Baltimore Blast play the final two games of their regular season schedule tonight versus Wichita and Sunday afternoon in Syracuse.
Then it's the Lancers vs the Blast next Saturday and a week from Monday in the MISL's Eastern Division Finals.
US Soccer's Epic Leap Day
U-23 USMNT v Mexico Highlights
Two friendlies and an Algarve Cup group stage match. Three wins. Three clean sheets. Not a bad day, especially when one of the wins was the USMNT's first ever win versus Italy and it was in Genoa. And beating Mexico is always fun.
There's not much to say other than this was a really awesome day for US Soccer.
News & Notes:
- Abby Wambach has been named co-captain of the USWNT.
- Alex Morgan to the Seattle Sounders Women is official. I wonder who will be playing for the WNY Flash in 2012?
- Former Rhino Jonny Steele is getting a second chance with Real Salt Lake and it sounds like he's fitting in quite well.
- Orlando City tried to woo MLS commish Don Garber recently. It will be interesting to see if they can get an MLS expansion franchise.
- Apparently Minnesota hopes to get in on that action, too.
- The Philadelphia Union threw down in a recent pre-season game in Costa Rica.
- Claudio Reyna and Tony Meola have been voted into the National Soccer Hall of Fame.
- The Soccer Outsider has a rebuttal to Don Garber's State of the League address.
- USWNT MF Megan Rapinoe blogs about her blur of the last month.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.