January 16, 2008
Here is what I'm hearing on the Rhinos investor front:
- A gentleman named Dan Williams is staying at a high end hotel in the area
- There are loads of "Off the Record" reports that the announcement will take place tomorrow
- Various media outlets are trying to break the story ahead of tomorrow expected announcement by the club
Hopefully this is the knight in shining armor that optimistic Rhinos fans have been hoping for!
News & Notes:
- In her first start for the USWNT since the World Cup blowout, Hope Solo got a clean sheet in a 4-0 US victory over Canada. Abby Wambach played a full 90 but was held off the scoresheet.
- MLSNet.com has the official announcements of the Carlos Ruiz to LA and the Nick Garcia to San Jose for the #1 pick trades.
- Pat Noonan could be headed overseas after the Revolution opted not to pick up his option. Granted, I don't know the cap implications of picking up the option, but Noonan doesn't appear to be a guy that I'd risk losing on a free transfer.
- It looks like Best Buy will be the jersey sponsor for the Fire.
- I don't get this take in 2008. Maybe in 2005 it was valid............
- Glenn Davis at the Houston Chronicle has a nice story on USMNT and Fulham star Clint Dempsey.
- Ives Galarcep has his take on Giuseppe Rossi playing for Italy as opposed to the US. I'd love to hear Soccer Sam rant on this one!
- SBI.net is one outlet reporting that Eddie Johnson to Fulham is almost a done deal. Johnson would be the fifth American on the Cottagers roster.
- SBI.net is also reporting that the New Jersey Ironmen are about to lose their head coach to the Red Bulls. Omid Namazi is set to become Juan Carlos Osorio's assistant head coach with the MLS club.
- Clarence Goodson's move to IK Start didn't happen and he's back with the USMNT according to Luis Bueno. I wonder if that means that San Jose has a shot at getting him to sign on the dotted line for 2008? Goodson, Garcia, and Cannon would be the start to a nice defensive core for the expansion club.
- Benny Feilhaber could be on the move as Israeli club Maccabi Tel Aviv is trying to get the USMNT midfielder on loan from Derby County according to Yanks Abroad. Feilhaber, who was the break out USMNT player of 2007, needs to get first team time ASAP.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.