January 28, 2008
Timber Jim is calling it quits.
I know that some Rhino fans that actually stay up to listen to Don Stevens' broadcasts from Portland may be happy to read this news as it will mean that they will no longer hear his chainsaw in the background.
However, the USL losing one of the most unique fan/mascots in the league isn't a good thing overall.
I just hope that the Timbers don't try and recruit some second rate replacement. Much like how lying to cover up something is always worse than the act that is getting covered up, forcing a replacement of someone like Timber Jim is pretty much always a bad idea.
News & Notes:
- Florida International University is hoping to get an MLS expansion team. I'm of two minds on this: one side of me says this is a horrible idea and the other wants me to see MLS screw up again!
- SBI.net talks about how Michael Bradley scored two more goals over the weekend. US Soccer.com also has a podcast interview up with the USMNT midfielder. I'm still slightly stunned that no team has made a run at Bradley during the winter transfer window. I wonder if he'll make a move following the season?
- SBI.net with the story that Derby County has some new owners and they are from........Detroit! I don't get how the ownership news will affect American players. It's not like Liverpool and ManU have gone after American players since they've been purchased by Americans. Heck, Fulham and Reading have the two biggest groups of Americans in the EPL and neither team is owned by Yanks......
- Steven Goff with the news that Tony DiCicco is helping out as the interim U-20 WNT coach. The fomer U-20 coach, Jillian Ellis, has been elevated to Pia Sundhage's assistant.
- Steven Goff also has a DC United FAQ ahead of camp opening up today. Steven also has a piece in today's Washington Post on new DC midfielder Marcelo Gallardo who will replace Christian Gomez as the team's maestro in center midfield.
- SBI.net with a rumor that Andy Herron could be dealt from Chicago to San Jose before he ever suits up for the Fire.
- And finally, Big Apple Soccer.com with an article on how Jozy Altidore is bouncing around between the USMNT, the U-23 MNT/Olympic team, and the Red Bulls. Oh to be young...........
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.