September 11, 2009
In what has to be the dumbest David Beckham rumor ever, someone suggested that he would be loaned to the Montreal Impact for the stretch run and the playoffs in the USL 1st Division.
This was a spin off of the rumor that Beckham would work with Joey Saputo to jointly take the Impact to MLS as Beckham reportedly has a clause in his contract that allows him to purchase an MLS expansion team in the future.
Obviously the Impact laughed it off since it is past the USL 1st Division roster freeze date and there is no way the LA Galaxy would let him go to a USL team.
Now if you want to talk about rumors of a David Beckham return to AC Milan after the MLS season is concluded as he hopes to prep for another World Cup with England....
Although, Posh may not be welcome this time around.
News & Notes:
- Johnny Menyongar gets a mention in this piece about potential USL 1st Division MVPs for 2009.
- Minnesota thumped Puerto Rico 5-2 last night. Who saw that one coming?
- FC Barcelona has grabbed a 2nd grader. The best part is that they stole him from Lyon!
- I wonder if the Kansas City Wizards stadium might be build out too far in the sticks? As many teams have learned, location of a soccer stadium is key in the long term success of the club.
- I'm going to be really annoyed if US-Honduras isn't somewhere on TV in the US!
- I wonder if Edgar Castillo gets a look at left back next month by Bob Bradley?
- Here is an interesting look at Bob Bradley's recent approach from Yanks Abroad.
- Will the tougher qualifying help the USMNT down the road? The one problem I see is that the way you play to suceed in CONCACAF won't work next year in South Africa.
- MLS Talk throws an interesting name out there when the US goes to replace Bob Bradley.
- Nike has a couple of cool YouTube videos up. One is about youth development and the other is about the USMNT.
- Danny Dichio may be hanging up the boots, but he's not leaving Toronto FC. Toronto also introduced their new Designated Player today.
- Could Giuseppe Rossi be headed to Juventus next summer?
- MLSNet.com wonders if Freddy Adu can improve with his move to Belenenses.
- Jeff Cooper talks to The Telegraph.com about his approach to trying to bring pro soccer to St. Louis, including his bid to buy the USL from Nike and his participation in the TOA.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.