August 13, 2009
The worst part about yesterday, like Luis Bueno points out at SI.com , is that Mexico has it's mojo back.
What hurts the most is that the US got off to the dream start by getting their first ever lead in Azteca in first 10 minutes of the game.
And while they didn't widen the lead to two goals before falling to Brazil, you would hope that this team would be able to at least get out of their with a point.
But, it was not to be as lax defending on both Mexican goals and a lucky bounce on the second led to the result being what it almost always is when the US plays in Mexico: 3 points for Mexico.
Now the US needs to regroup and get ready for El Salvador in Salt Lake City on September 5th.
News & Notes:
- The Offside Rules thinks that yesterday was a slow news day in Rochester.Too bad that story was from almost two years ago now....
- Apparently MLS & Seattle now own Fredy Montero's contract. It will be interesting to see how long they hold onto him.
- DC United now has a We Win Trophies commercial.
- Portland defeated Montreal 1-0 last evening to stretch their unbeaten string to 21 games.
- Clint Dempsey signed his new 4 year deal with Fulham. That puts a nice ending to a bad day, I guess.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.