September 26, 2011
The Syracuse Silver Knights have signed former Syracuse Salty Dog and former Rochester Rhino Jonny Steele.
Steele has previous indoor experience playing with the Kansas City Comets during the 2004-05 season, the Baltimore Blast during the 05-06 and 06-07 seasons, and with the Philadelphia KiXX during the 2007-08 season. In those four seasons, Steele has scored 28 goals in 69 games played.
The highlight of Steele's outdoor career was the 2008 USL 1st Division season with the Puerto Rico Islanders where he was named the league MVP and the team won the USL 1st Division title.
News & Notes:
- ESPNW sums up the USWNT's winning formula as giving the ball to Abby Wambach.
- Chase Harrison is once again back in MLS due to a goalkeeper injury. This time it's with the Philadelphia Union.
- Alex Morgan & Hope Solo are the latest USWNT players to do a This is Sportscenter ad.
- The Original Winger has a post about Keith Tozer and the US Futsal team camp that is going on right now. Tozer is also the head coach of the MISL's Milwaukee Wave and he was a guest on Kick This! this past Saturday.
- There is talk that the Chicago Kick will not be a part of the 2011-12 MISL season.
- The Austin Aztex are back (sort of) with a team that play in the USL's PDL.
- The Montreal Impact can focus on the 2012 jump to MLS now that their NASL season is over since they failed to make the postseason.
- Jennifer O'Sullivan has been named the new CEO of the WPS.
- If you want to work out like Hope Solo, here you go.
- Beau Dure has another solid post about "Single Digit Soccer" aka youth soccer for kids 9 and under.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.