February 27, 2009
Yesterday was the day that the news finally came to light about Ross Smith requiring heart surgery that will likely keep him out for most, or all, of the 2009 season.
Ross came in last year and quickly became a fan favorite with his physical style of play and unique fashion sense.
Ross was also a very engaging person both with his teammates and the fans.
Everyone is hoping that Ross makes a full recovery and is back with the Rhinos soon.
Brent Sancho brought in
T&T international defender Brent Sancho has been signed by the Rhinos to a 2 year deal.
Sancho has USL experience with Portland and Charleston, along with stops at Dundee United in Scotland and Gillingham in England's League 1.
Sancho will have at least one familiar face when he arrives in Rochester as he is best friends with Tiger Fitzpatrick.
Sancho gives Coach Tilley more depth in back with the news that Ross Smith is likely out for the year.
News & Notes:
- The Rhinos have also unveiled their preseason schedule that includes a trip to Maryland. I wonder what Kenney Bertz's curfew will look like?
- So much for David Hayes staying in Atlanta. He has signed with the Portland Timbers.
- Cleveland has signed midfielder Max Cream who had been a developmental player with LA previously.
- Minnesota has let Tighe Dombrowski and Paul Moran go and have signed Rod Dyachenko from DC United and Maryland Terrapin defender Rich Costanzo.
- Oscar De La Hoya is saying that the Houston Dynamo are close to having a stadium deal done.
- An editorial board that puts out a positive note about spending public funds to land an MLS team? No way!!!!
- The LA Galaxy released five players that I would believe a few USL teams would go after.
- Seattle is feeling the MLS love.
- Perhaps BC Place isn't the long term home for the Whitecaps.......
And now for your daily Beckham update:
SI.com - Beckham growing weary of waiting game
AFP - Beckham admits Milan frustration
IHT.com - AC Miland and Beckham out of UEFA Cup
AP - Beckham's a goner, but MLS can still benefit
CP - Tood bad LA can't put Beckham on eBay
I can't see LA giving Beckham up if all AC Milan is offering is $3 million.
Not gonna happen.
And I love this open letter to Soccer Spice .
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them