May 22, 2011
With the WNY Flash slated to play in front of the largest home crowd so far this season, the players need to focus on remaining unbeaten. But even more important may be the rest of the organization trying to figure out how to get the fans that are showing up for the first time to get back to a few more of the five remaining regular season home matches.
magicJack return to Sahlen's Stadium on Wednesday July 20th. But, there is no guarantee that both team's will have their full compliment of World Cup players with the final being held on July 17th and FIFA giving players seven days to report to their WPS teams following the World Cup.
So, if Brazil plays the US in the World Cup final, a second round of the Marta vs Abby in Rochester showdown may have to wait to a potential playoff showdown.
And that's why it's huge for the Flash to sell themselves and not Abby Wambach today. They'll have plenty of games remaining at home this year that will lack the Abby drawing card.
The good thing is that the Flash are a highly skilled and highly entertaining team. So, you can only hope they get a bunch of new converts this evening.
News & Notes:
- The PASL wants to work with the MISL to further stabilize the indoor soccer landscape.
- The Flash had an Adopt-A-Team draft after practice yesterday and the results are on YouTube.
- The Rhinos had a physical, but not overly pretty game on Friday night when they played Orlando City to a scoreless draw.
- Caroline Seger was frustrated in Sweden's friendly loss to England. I wonder if Gemma Davison and Emma Hayes rubbed it in?
- Christine Sinclair does the when in Rome thing.
- Here is a really cool story of an American coach in Guatemala.
- The CONCACAF Champions League draw is out.
- Gotta love this ad for the Dynamo ahead of their Texas Derby match up with FC Dallas.
- Nick Mendola has a great blog post about his soccer club, FC Buffalo.
- England won't vote in the upcoming election of a new FIFA President.
- Sporting KC got to take to the pitch of their new home.
- Sepp Blatter has hinted at re-opening the vote for the 2022 FIFA World Cup as more evidence that Qatar bribed a couple of voters has come out.
- Fake Sigi dissects an Anson Dorrance interview in Soccer America.
- FC Edmonton have a new GM.
- Landon Donovan doesn't have time to talk about how AS Roma may want to buy his contract from MLS.
- And David Beckham wonders why LA Galaxy supporters have questioned his commitment to the club..........
- Equalizer Soccer talks to Brandi Chastain about a wide range of topics.
- MLS Talk has an interview with Alexi Lalas where he names his all time MLS best XI.
- MLS Insider has 5 minutes with Jurgen Klinsmann.
- Andy Najar isn't on Honduras' Gold Cup squad.
- What Umbro did with Atletico Bilbao in Spain with the unveiling of their new jersey is really cool.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.