I can write a piece about tonight's game versus the Minnesota Thunder.
But, what fun would that be? This is another game against a bottom 3 team that the Rhinos should win and it will only be a stroy if they don't win it.
The news of the day is Jeff's gameday article where there is talk of a shake up ahead of next week's USL 1st Division roster freeze.
Who could be going?
- Given his selfish red card, I would wonder if Johnny Menyongar is a guy that is on the block. If this were a week ago, I wouldn't even think of the Rhinos moving a player that is tied for league's leading goalscorer. But the red card versus Portland after missing the USOC semifinal due to a selfish yellow card versus Pittsburgh and I wonder if Menyongar is on the block.
- Given that he's coming off a really bad game, I wonder if Scott Vallow could be on the block. Tim Melia has played well and it would be a shocking move if the Rhinos moved their captain. I don't expect Vallow to be traded as not too many teams need a goalkeeper, but you never know.
- Could Tai Atieno get moved with the McFarlane and Ukah signings?
- Could a midfielder like Andrew Gregor get moved?
Who could be coming in?
- The highest scorer in the league amongst the bottom three is Minnesota's Ricardo Sanchez. If the Rhinos feel that they need to add a midfield playmaker, perhaps that would be a fit.
- There is another member of the bottom three that has 5 assists this season along with Sanchez and that would be former Rhino and current Cleveland City Star Pato Aguilera. Pato could be a guy that could help this team down the stretch, IMO.
- Could the Rhinos follow Jeff's advice from earlier in the season and ask about Charles Gbeke from Vancouver?
- Would Carolina be interested in trading either Hamed Diallo (0 pts in fewer than 200 minutes of league play in 2009) or Luke Kreamalmayer. They are two players that the Rhinos know well.
- Will Miami FC pull the chute and perhaps move someone like Diego Serna or Leonardo Nunes?
It certainly is fun to contemplate what moves the team might make.......
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.