I'm with Steven Goff with his take on the schedule having nothing to do with luring better players to MLS.
Although, everyone agrees that soccer specfic stadiums are key. But, eight of the fifteen teams already play in MLS primary stadiums. NY is moving into Red Bull Arena next season. Four more teams are trying to get new stadiums built (DC, Houston, SJ, and KC). That leaves only Seattle and New England as teams that play in NFL stadiums and have no real intent on moving right now.
And in Seattle's case, who would argue that they need to move out of Qwest Field right now?
I think Sepp Blatter needs to leave the US before David Beckham!
News & Notes:
- John Boccacino has a great article in today's D&C. We should pass a hat at games to get all those kids Pro Passes for next season!
- While Devo was stumping for Johnny Menyongar to get POTW honors, it went to Carolina's Gregory Richardson who notched a hat trick in a 4-0 win over Miami FC. Johnny wasn't even named to the Team of the Week. But, Tiger Fitzpatrick was.
- Abby's brace was good enough to be named the WPS POTW.
- This would be good news IF all satellite and cable outlets actually pick it up for the day.......
- Apparently Saturday night's Rochester-Cleveland game wasn't the only one delayed due to lightning.
- Michael Lewis wants to fire the entire NY Red Bulls team.
- Jonah Freedman at SI.com has the reasoning behind why Danny Szetela moved back to MLS.
- It looks like perhaps Ricardo Clark won't be moving to Livorno.......for now.
- President Obama is stumping for the US to host a World Cup sooner rather than later.
- Greg Seltzer at Soccer365.com finally got to review The Beckham Experiment. Meanwhile, Beckham got a bit of a rough ride in Kansas City and he appears to have helped get the lifetime ban of the fan that confronted him on the field at The Home Depot Center rescinded. That's cool!
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.