December 12, 2008
The Seattle Sounders have yet to play a single MLS game and already they are embroiled in their first MLS controversy.
It appears that the reason that Sigi Schmid has yet to be named the Sounders first coach is that Columbus is claiming that Seattle tampered with Schmid by engaging in talks with the 2008 MLS Coach of the Year prior to his contract expiring.
If Seattle has to give up compensation to the Crew, it will be interesting to see how much it is with the MLS SuperDraft slated to take place on January 15th and the Sounders currently sitting with the 1st overall pick.
News & Notes:
- Even MLSNet.com is saying that current Columbus Crew assistant coach Robert Warzycha will be Schmid's replacement.
- Soccer365.com looks at the teams in Germany that former Crew defender Chad Marshall has been looking at.
- Steven Goff has a poll up about where the February 11th US-Mexico World Cup Qualifier should be played. It looks like Seattle or Salt Lake City will be where the game is played. Personally, I like the idea of playing in Denver in February!
- Jack Bell at the NY Times looks at potential speed bumps for the Barca-Miami bid. I think the saddest one is the Nike-Barca and adidas-MLS relationships and potential clashes there.
- Luis Bueno's latest at SI.com also takes a look at the +'s and -'s of the Barca-Miami bid. I like how people are taking a balanced look at the Barcelona bid as too many people heard the Barca name and went gaga, in my opinion.
- The Houston Chronicle talks about the Dynamo's off season To Do list. Getting an heir apparent for Pat Onstad made it onto the bottom of the list. And here I thought Pat was going to keep going for at least another decade.
- Yanks Abroad gets caught up with Sal Zizzo.
- Programming notes: I've been told that Rhinos defender John Ball will be riding shotgun in studio with me tomorrow on Kick This!. We are scheduledto talk to Rhinos defender Ross Smith about how contract talks are going and Rhinos owner Rob Clark about the naming rights news and other things.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.