May 7, 2008
When the USL 1st Division Team of the Week was named this week, I got a chuckle over how many players on the list played against the Rhinos last week.
Six (yes, over half of the TOTW) players were from Charleston or Minnesota. And that includes the USL 1st Division Player of the Week, Thunder goalkeeper Nick Platter who had a clean sheet and an assist versus the Rhinos on Sunday.
Hopefully we won't see Portland and Vancouver players up anddown the USL 1st Division team of the week next week.....
News & Notes:
- Dan Steinberg had a couple of postings on his Washington Post.com blog about the VW-DC United annoucement yesterday. The excited players post wasn't as good as the post that started off with a couple of DC players flashing the VW gang sign.
- Steven Goff has a nice piece up about DC United's new maestro, Marcelo Gallardo.
- US Soccer.com is saying that over 40,000 tickets have been sold for the US-Argentina friendly scheduled to take place on June 8th at Giants Stadium.
- The US U-23 MNT will play in in the Toulon International Tournament in France from May 20 to May 29 and the action will be aired live on Fox Soccer Channel. The Red Bulls arelikely lessthan thrilled as Jozy Altidore may miss a couple of MLS games if he is called in for the tournament by Peter Nowak.
- Even thought they have advanced to the Champions League final versus Chelsea and they will likely wrap up an EPL title on Saturday with a win, all is not financially well with Manchester United . It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.