April 28, 2011
It was sad to read this morning that RSL fell 1-0 to Monterrey in the 2nd leg of the CCL final and lost the tie by a 3-2 score.
Now it will be interesting to see if MLS can build on RSL's success or not. Or, was this just a fluke?
Clint Dempsey enters Fulham record book
Clint Dempsey scored not once , but twice yesterday for Fulham.
The two goals were the 32nd and 33rd EPL goals for Dempsey in his Fulham career. That is more EPL goals than any other Cottager in history.
The interesting part is that the record of 32 EPL goals was previously held by Steed Malbranque and fellow American Brian McBride.
And given that Dempsey is 28 years old, he could add a lot of goals to that record if he stays with Fulham for a while.
News & Notes:
- This just in: Barca is pretty good and so is that kid Messi.
- The WNY Flash come up with reasons why the fans should come out to their home opener on Sunday.
- Christine Sinclair talks Team Canada changes in her latest video blog.
- WNY Flash captain Caroline Seger talks about the ups and downs of soccer and her journey from Sweden to the US.
- Ali Riley and company went to IHOP.
- Could Sevilla FC-Puerto Rico be the first USL PRO club in jeopardy?
- Stuart Holden is on the road to recovery.
- The two MLS clubs won in Canadian Nutrilite Championship play last night.
- I wonder if any of the USWNT players would have preferred to have stayed with their WPS clubs this week given the hot weather & after this?
- The USWNT does have a nice weight room to work out in, though.
- The new CONCACAF World Cup qualifying proposal is out.
- New England knocked out DC United in US Open Cup qualifying. The Rhinos have to have a sigh of relief!
- I like the Bumpy Pitch stuff in general, but this Rose City Clive Charles tribute t-shirt is nice.
- The new USL match balls look nice.
- The Chicago Red Stars aren't dead . They are just playing in the WPSL in 2011.
- The San Antonio Scorpions of the NASL hope to have a stadium built by 2013.
- Be careful about Twitter hooligans.
- David Beckham is still talking about owning an MLS team one day. I wonder if Joe Sahlen knows him?
- Claudio Reyna talks about US Soccer's Respect campaign.
- The NY Red Bulls will play in the Emirates Cup.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.