Ross Smith might go down as the most popular Rhino player ever to suit up for less than 20 league games for the club.
Ross obviously has MLS aspirations as he would have signed with the Colorado Rapids if a physical hadn't uncovered his heart problem.
So it is of little surprise that Ross's return to division 2 soccer is with a club that is prepping for a jump to MLS in 2011.
I'm sure Ross will get a solid applause when the Timbers play at Marina Autos Stadium on August 4th.
News & Notes:
- I have a hard time believing this report that some amongst the Vancouver Whitecaps front office are split on whether to move to MLS or stay with the NASL long term. I don't see the NASL having anywhere near the long term upside potential that MLS does. But, that's just me...........
- Apparently the Houston Chronicle has let Glenn Davis go and this is his last soccer column for the newspaper. It's sad that even a solid pro soccer market like Houston can't get a soccer columnist. Although, the Chronicle still has Dynamo beat writer Jose De Jesus Ortiz.
- Seattle is making some moves to retain the core of their club as they try and build upon their 1st year success in MLS.
- Don't look now, but Benny Feilhaber picked up an ankle injury in training......
- And Jed Zayner of the Columbus Crew has a hilarious blog. Check out this post about him, Robbie Rogers, and Guillermo Barros Schelotto.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.