Rhinos 2:1 Phoenix SC - Lamar Hunt US Open Cup Round 1
It wasn't a lopsided blowout, but the Rhinos never trailed in their Lamar Hunt US Open Cup 1st Round match with Phoenix SC of the USASA. The Rhinos will now travel south to Harrisburg, PA to face the City Islanders in Round 2 of this year's tournament on Tuesday, June 21st.
Harrisburg had to come from behind last evening to defeat Reading of the PDL 2-1. Former Rhino Chase Harrison was in goal for the City Islanders and was called upon to make a handful of saves.
It will be interesting to see if failing to win the bidding to host this match comes back to haunt the Rhinos.
US 1:0 Guadeloupe - CONCACAF Gold Cup
It wasn't pretty and Bob Bradley didn't take the advice of Brent at the USA 10 Kit , but the US did win last right to face Jamaica at 3pm on Sunday at RFK Stadium in Washington, DC.
Clint Dempsey might have had a hard time sleeping last night after missing on more than one grade A scoring chances including the sitter to end all sitters.
Sure, Guadeloupe had a shot just go high off a bad corner kick clearance in the first five minutes.
But, Jozy Altidore's BOMB and a clean sheet from Tim Howard and crew was enough.
Now they need to figure out how to get past a hot group of Reggae Boyz.
News & Notes:
- Congrats to McCall Zerboni of the WNY Flash for being named the WPS Player of the Month for May.
- The Fox Soccer Channel is dropping the channel from the name.
- The latest in a long running Gold Cup tradition: a player defects from Cuba.
- BMO will be the Montreal Impact's jersey sponsor when they make the jump to MLS in 2012.
- Philadelphia Union D Danny Califf reads to some kids.
- Charlie Davies talks about the US-Mexico rivalry.
- You know MLS has been around a while when you read about players replacing their heroes in an MLS match.
- Mexico's WNT has 7 gringos on it.
- Equalizer Soccer talks to Tiffeny Milbrett about the future of women's soccer and the west coast.
- Canada couldn't close out Panama and doesn't advance past group play in the Gold Cup.
- Mexico had their 5 players that were booted from the Gold Cup re-tested and they passed this time. It will be interesting to see if they get them back or not.
- Montreal's Sandro Grande has retired. And we still hate Montreal.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.