May 15, 2009
Apparently after sleeping on it, the Rhinos are going to make some noise about the ending to last evening's 2-1 loss in Portland.
I hit the hay with about 10 minutes left, so all I can say is that the straight red card to Nano Short was harsh. But, Devo has said on his blog that the Rhinos are filing a complaint with the league about the quality of the officiating after the Timbers were awarded a penalty kick in stoppage time of a tied game.
Oh yeah, the Rhinos tied the match after going down a man due to that call on Short.
And the Rhinos received 5 yellow cards and Portland received none.
I wouldn't expect the league to do much about this given how bad the officiating has been in other places over the years Montreal. And I can't wait for the Rochester Whinos taunts to fly on internet message boards.
Let's just hope that the team picks themselves up, dusts themselves off, and take care of business tomorrow night versus Vancouver.
News & Notes:
- The Rochester Ravens home opener is tomorrow night. $5 a head to get in unless you have a Pro Pass or are a Rhinos Season Ticket Holder whom get in free of charge.
- The Montreal Impact have sacked their coach and brought in Marc Dos Santos on an interim basis. Also, Mauro Biello is now a player/assistant coach as well.
- FC Dallas seems to have some Seattle envy when it comes to fan support.
- Start the Marcus Hahnemann to MLS rumors now.....
- KC is only going to play one true home SuperLiga game as one will be in St Louis.
- MLS Soccer Talk wants to tweak the CCL. I have to laugh when they suggest that Toronto FC should just be given Canada's spot in the tournament since they are in MLS and that the US Open Cup winner shouldn't get a joke, either....... WHAT. A. JOKE.
- Here is the match preview from Vancouver's website for tomorrow night.
- It looks like we will have Ravens head coach Mark Howlett and Rhinos head coach Darren Tilley on tomorrow's show. If you want Darren to go off on the officials, I would suggest passing the hat to cover a fine!
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.