January 11, 2008
The Rhinos will have four home games televised nationally as part of the Fox Soccer Channel USL Game of the Week.
The June 13th game versus the Vancouver Whitecaps, the July 11th game versus the Seattle Sounders, the July 25th game versus the Montreal Impact, and the September 12th game versus the Puerto Rico Islanders will all be televised on the Fox Soccer Channel.
This year the league seems to be featuring some of the teams that have better atmosphere at their home matches as Seattle will be on three times, but all as the visiting team. Apparently the crowds at Qwest Field for Sounders games don't come across well on TV. But, that makes you wonder why Miami FC will have a home game on FSC.......
News & Notes:
- Mark Pallo has updated Rhino Pit.com. Although, I don't know if I should share this information as Mark doesn't come here for information on the Rhinos during the offseason.
- Joe Cannon is headed back to San Jose. SI.com 's Jonah Freedman believes that the cap space clearing move by the Galaxy means that they have a big deal in the works. Could it be Figo?
- How do you say Cleetus in Greek? Big Apple Soccer.com and Soccer By Ives.net both have the story of Clint Mathis having signed with Ergotelis, which is in last place in the A' Ethnikis, the Greek First Division .
- SBI.net is also reporting that Clarence Goodson is trying to sign with a club in Europe as opposed to making the move to San Jose.
- SBI.net is reporting that Denis Hamlett, the long time Fire assistant coach, has been hired as Juan Carlos Osorio's replacement. Hamlett has been a Fire assistant since the Bob Bradley era and has been with the Fire for ten seasons. It's nice to see loyalty get rewarded.
- Steven Goff has talked to Alecko Eskandarian about his impending move to Chivas USA. And to nobody's surprise, Esky is excited about the move. And honestly, who wouldn't be happy moving from a bad team that plays in Salt Lake City to a good team that plays in SoCal?
- The Davino signing by FC Dallas was made official yesterday.
- This is one of the reasons why Paul Mariner should be running an MLS team.
- Programming update for tomorrow's show: Barring late breaking news on the Rhinos investor front, tomorrow's show will feature Coach Calloway and Soccer Sam from the MLS Combine in Miami.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.