The Rhinos announced today that they have re-signed midfielder Ze Roberto and added 6'3" 190 lb forward Chris Sanders who left the University of Portland after his junior season to sign with FC Nurnberg of the German Bundesliga.
The Rhinos inked Sanders to a one year deal with an option for the 2010 season.
Sanders looks to be a target forward that will replace Matthew Delicate on the Rhinos depth chart.
Darren Tilley said on Saturday's Kick This! that if Ze Roberto were to play in the USL in 2009, it would be in Rochester. So, that announcement should not come as a huge surprise.
Palguta released from Red Bulls camp
Scott Palguta and Gordon (aka Sacha's brother) Kljestan were released from New York Red Bulls camp.
It will be interesting to see if any other MLS club takes a look at Scott with March 19th MLS opener between New York and Seattle rapidly approaching.
One team that comes to mind immediately would be the Colorado Rapids given that Steve Guppy is now the assistant coach in Colorado.
Scott can't make it on this week's Kick This!, but we are hoping to have him on the show on February 28th.
News & Notes:
- ESPN.com is reporting that AC Milan expects the Beckham situation to be resolved by this Friday. SBI.net wonders if this will really get resolved this week and No Short Corners thinks that LA needs to give up the ghost and let Beckham go.
Personally, I think LA will be better off without Beckham for a few reasons:
1) They will have fewer exhibition matches to help pay Beckham's freight.
2) They won't have the Beckham media circus around.
3) There will be less pressure to perform without Soccer Spice around.
- WPS has reached a contract agreement with the USWNT players. That was key.
- SBI.net talks about how Saturday's match against Cologne could be Landon Donovan's big chance with Bayern Munich. But, Bayern brass are already saying that Donovan is unlikely to stay beyond the original loan end date.
- The Bruce is saying that he expects Donovan and Beckham back in LA uniforms next month.
- Meanwhile, the Galaxy are getting ready to kick off the 2009 Pan-Pacific Championship.
- Puerto Rico has re-signed head coach Colin Clarke to a three year deal.
- Ridge Mahoney's latest at SI.com says that Angel, and not Beckham, shows how the DP slot should be used in MLS. I'd put Angel and Blanco ahead of Beckham on that list.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them