March 19, 2011
The Rhinos announced yesterday that they have signed midfielder Tony Donatelli.
Donatelli had been in camp with the San Jose Earthquakes before being released a month ago.
Donatelli has won a pair of USL 1st Division titles with Vancouver in 2006 and Montreal in 2009. Bob Lilley was Donatelli's coach in Vancouver when they won the title in 2006.
This is a really solid signing after the Rhinos lost SanFilippo and Pitchkolan earlier this off season. And I doubt that Bob will need to get into Donatelli the way he did some of the midfielders that were playing in Thursday's scoreless draw against Binghampton University.
News & Notes:
- Donatelli is on the Rhinos roster for this afternoon's match at Sahlen's Stadium against York University.
- Unprofessional Foul takes a look at WNY Flash & USWNT forward Alex Morgan.
- Chase Harrison is back with the Harrisburg City Islanders.
- Grant Wahl has competition in trying to unseat Sepp Blatter.
- Bob Bradley has unveiled the USMNT roster for the pair of upcoming friendlies.
- The MLS schedule conflicting with the FIFA international dates coming up soon have caused a lot of team to miss key players.
- Next Saturday, the USMNT will be wearing new red jerseys. If you want your motto sewn into them, check out this contest from US Soccer & Nike.
- It looks like the Hex is staying in regards to CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying.
- If you need to brush up on what the Brimstone Cup is, here is a primer.
- Charlie Davies has launched his own website.
- Since Chad Ochocinco's day job is in limbo, he is going to trial with Sporting KC.
- Dan Antoniuk has gone back and signed with FC Edmonton.
- DC United is looking to improve the game day experience for their fans.
- Joe Warren is ending his retirement and playing for Minnesota this season.
- JELD-WEN Stadium doesn't roll off the tongue as easily as PGE Park did.
- Landon Donovan is part of a cool commercial for The Wild Soccer Bunch kids books.
- If you are a fan of goals from distance, check this one out.
- Stuart Holden will be playing at Wmbley Stadium in the FA Cup semifinals.
- If refs could use this , it would be really cool.
- The MLS Roadtrip Crew made it to adidas HQ.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.