The Rhinos have signed midfielder/defender Aaron Pitchkolan today.
Pitchkolan was released by the San Jose Earthquakes last month. He started his MLS career with FC Dallas in 2005 and played 68 games for the Hoops before being traded to San Jose midway through the 2009 season. Aaron played 9 games for the Earthquakes after the trade.
Pitchkolan brings up the Rhinos average age a bit since he's 27yo. He also adds some size as he's listed at 6'2" 185 on MLS Soccer.com.
It's too bad that Charles Gbeke is playing in China because I would love to see Gbeke and Charles face off after what happened last year in Vancouver.
News & Notes:
- Devo breaks the news about the musical act for the home opener.
- How can the Rhinos be four spots behind Miami FC when they went down to Lockhart and got an away draw? Austin deserves to be the #2 team, but that does surprise me even if it's early.
- Inside Minnesota Soccer talks to Kartik Krishnaiyer of the NASL about the technical issues with the web broadcasts of the USSF D-2 Pro League games so far.
- Steven Goff is saying that Jamar Beasley , who played for Bob Lilley with the Detroit Ignition in 2007 & 2008, is trying to get back to MLS. He is currently training with Rangers as his brother likely pulled some strings.
- Deli was named the USL-2 Player of the Week for Week 1.
- Seattle unveiled their new "Electric" yellow third kits yesterday. Ned at Unprofessional Foul and myselfmight be the only people on the web that like the new look. The Offside Rules , Dirty Tackle, and Buzz Carrick at 3rd Degree all give thumbs down to the Sounders new look.
- There are issues with Joseph Ngwenya to Houston signing.
- Steve Davis has a real nice piece at MLS Soccer.com about offensive tactics on corner kicks.
- The final installment of Inside the MLS SuperDraft is up.
- Jason de Vos at CBC.ca thinks that Montreal to MLS works out for both parties. I can't disagree.
- Gooch is back training with AC Milan. NICE!
- Adam Spangler at This Is American Soccer.com spent 10 days in South Africa recently ahead of this summer's World Cup.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.