I know the Rhinos have tried to build a young team with speed all over the field, but this is funny.
The Rhinos signed Ian Bennett today and the guy ran track in college, on top of playing soccer at Marian College.
Bennett played this past indoor season with the Milwaukee Wave where he had 27 pts in 20 games. He last played outdoors in 2008 with the Richmond Kickers where he had 2 goals in 14 appearances. He also scored once in 23 appearances for the Charleston Battery in 2007.
Wesley Charles and the Rhinos
Yesterday, Devo had a great blog post about the issues that Wesley Charles was dealing with last year.
Today Devo tweets that the Rhinos have let Charles know that they will not be signing him.
That's too bad. After what Charles went through a year ago, I hope he gets picked up somewhere.
News & Notes:
- Portland "only" drew a tad under 6000 fans last night. But, they did dismantle AC St Louis by a 3-0 scoreline. Ryan Pore had two of the Portland goals in the win.
- AC St Louis has another former Rhino on the roster with Mike Ambersley signing with the club. Ambo is the 8th St Louis area native to sign with the club.
- Puerto Rico started off their USSF D2 season in style with a 3-1 win over NSC Minnesota.
- Seattle feels hard done after a late PK call allowed FC Dallas to tie their game at 2. Some Sounders fans are planning a protest for later in the season. On a more positive note, Fredy Montero's free kick bomb was pretty sweet.
- The AP has a story on the impending Montreal to MLS announcement.
- How sweet would Rangers-Celtic at Fenway Park be?
- Man City & Tottenham will be playing at Red Bull Arena this summer.
- WV Hooligan has a nice little Who's Hot/Who's Not after 1 month of the MLS season.
- Here is another leak of the white US jersey for this summer's World Cup. I like the ghost sash look for some reason....
- Steve Davis at SI.com takes a look what USMNT fitness coach Pierre Barrieu has up his sleeve.
- Charlie Davies is not giving up his World Cup dream, even though some people are close to writing him off.
- Scheduled to appear on tomorrow's edition of Kick This! is Austin head coach Adrian Heath, Rhinos head coach Bob Lilley, and Rhinos MF Tyler Rosenlund.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.