June 18, 2011
First half goals from Rich Costanzo, Andrew Hoxie, and Drew Cost were more than enough offense as the Rhinos defeated the Pittsburgh Riverhounds in Erie, PA last night.
The Rhinos also welcomed Isaac Kissi back into the lineup after having to deal with a potentially career ending heart ailment during the early part of this season.
Next up for the Rhinos are the Harrisburg City Islanders in the 2nd round of the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup. Harrisburg will also have confidence heading into Tuesday night's match in central Pennsylvania as they went into Richmond and came out with a 1-0 win last evening.
The Rhinos and City Islanders have met twice this season with the home side winning 1-0 in both matches.
And on the line is a 3rd round match up versus the Chicago Fire of the MLS. If the Rhinos win, they will host Chicago at Sahlen's Stadium on Tuesday June 28th.
News & Notes:
- Here are the top goals of the group phase of the 2011 Gold Cup.
- Steven Goff has some USMNT news & notes from RFK.
- The USA 10 Kit wonders what to do with Clint Dempsey.
- This drill the USMNT did is cool. But, I don't think my U8 boys team is ready for it.
- US Soccer.com has another interview up with Jermaine Jones.
- FIFA will allow Mexico to replace their 5 suspended players.
- ESPNW goes inside soccer with Brandi Chastain.
- Here is The Complete Guide to The Women's World Cup by The Equalizer & All White Kit.
- Here is ESPN's 11 vs the World promo for the WWC.
- Ali Riley is trying to stay cool with the Football Ferns.
- I thought Sabermetrics were already a part of soccer?
- The FA Cup can now be used to serve Bud.
- No Short Corners looks at the top 5 MLS fan rivalries.
- MLS Talk wants the Gold Cup Final on Fox and not Fox Soccer.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.