Last weekend, the Rhinos won their second straight against the LA Blues by a score of 2-0. Andrew Hoxie came on at halftime for Graciano Brito and paid immediate dividends. Hoxie scored the game winner in the 50th minute and then got his head on a set piece that led to JC Banks' 56th minute insurance tally.
Hoxie earned a place on the USL PRO League Team of the Week for his efforts. Banks and Rhinos GK Kristian Nicht were honorable mentions, as well.
The Rhinos travel to Dayton to face a Dutch Lions squad that played the Charlotte Eagles to a scoreless draw in their season opener and lost 2-0 to the Pittsburgh Riverhounds last weekend.
With the Rhinos yet to have allowed a goal and Dayton having yet to score this season scares me a bit from a jinx point of view....
The Rhinos also unveiled Excellus BlueCross BlueShield as their new jersey sponsor.
- Rochester Lancers F Mauricio Salles was also named to the Team of the Week for his beautiful free kick goal for the Charlotte Eagles.
- Soccer America previews week 4 in the USL PRO League.
- Inside Minnesota Soccer.com has the NASL Players of the Week.
- Soccer America looks ahead to week 4 in the NASL.
- Lancers GK Patrick Hannigan is out 4 to 6 weeks for the San Antonio Scorpions with a fractured fibula.
- Soccer America with the recap of Week 7 in MLS.
- D Leo Gibson of the MISL's Missouri Comets is training with Sporting KC.
News & Notes:
- The USWNT draw France, Colombia, and North Korea in the Olympics group play.
- Nike has a video of Megan Rapinoe spending a day in Portland.
- Fulham Manager Martin Jol says that they have offered a good contract to Clint Dempsey.
- Dempsey finished fourth in FWA voting for the EPL Player of the Year.
- In case you missed it, a 10 man Chelsea bounced Barca from the Champions League.
- Speaking of Barca, they will need to find a new manager after the season.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.