December 11, 2008
PAETEC Communications signed a one year stadium naming rights deal for the 2008 season with Rob Clark and the new owners of the Rhinos. They have opted not to sign a new deal and now the team is starting a search for a new naming rights partner for the stadium formerly known as PAETEC Park.
Given the uncertainty surrounding the state of the economy, it will be interesting to see what the Rhinos can do with regards to naming rights for the stadium.
I know some people are wondering about Kodak, Xerox, Bausch and Lomb, Paychex, and the other large businesses that are located largely in Rochester. But, I wonder if the deal could be something a little different.
For instance, could there be some sort of deal that involves say a construction company that perhaps barters the naming rights for some of the improvements that the Rhinos want to have done to the stadium?
It will also be interesting to see if they are getting mock ups done for Adirondack Bank Stadium logos?
News & Notes:
- The US WNT blog has a picture of Abby Wambach lacing up her boots!
- The Oregonian , The Portland Business Journal , and this blog site both have coverage of yesterday's meeting about the plan to revamp PGE Park in Portland for a potential MLS expansion team. This Oregonian blogger also looks at what an MLS team would mean to the city.
- Martin Rogers at Yahoo! Sports looks at the Barca-Miami bid. It will be interesting to see how this all works out. My guess is that the folks at Chivas and Red Bull thought that owning MLS clubs would be a lot easier than it has been.
- No Short Corners has some interesting European transfer tidbits including a rumor linking Landon Donovan to Everton.
- Seattle's website has 10 questions with USL Sounders vet Sebastian Le Toux.
- SBI.net has a list of potential Generation adidas targets. For some reason, what I was drawn to was the picture of the Under Armour kits that Maryland wore this season! I wonder if the Rhinos are leaving Mass with Recognition Experts taking over?
- The USL has released the list of players heading to the USL combine that opens up within the next week.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.