When Isaac Kissi missed an early PK, you wondered if the Rhinos streak of solid league play might be getting derailed due to a post-US Open Cup let down.
Then Kissi got the Rhinos on the board early in the second half and things looked up for the home side. But less than 10 minutes later the Kickers drew even on a goal that was originally credited to former Rhino Matthew Delicate but was later called an own goal by Rhinos center back Tyler Bellamy.
But the Rhinos didn't give up and second half subs Andrew Hoxie and Kendall Jagdeosingh hooked up in the 72nd minute for the winner.
The win puts the Rhinos six points clear of Harrisburg in the National Division. Although, the City Islanders hodl two games in hand on the Rhinos.
Richmond fell to 3rd place in the American division as they are a point behind Charleston and now 11 points in back of division leaders Orlando City. But, Richmond holds three games in hand over both the Battery and Orlando City.
Next up for the Rhinos is Orlando City tomorrow night at Sahlen's Stadium. Orlando City played Pittsburgh to a scoreless draw last evening.
So, neither team will have a rest advantage going into the match up of the two division leaders.
- Equalizer Soccer has 5 questions heading into US-Colombia.
- The US Soccer.com Behind the Shield series has a look at the USWNT between the North Korea win and today's match versus Colombia.
- Kristin Luckenbill has 5 reasons to watch US-Colombia.
- Georgina Turner expects Pia Sundhage to make some more roster tweaks.
News & Notes:
- Devo has a piece up on Abby's push to cement her legacy.
- The USWNT youtube interview pieces have Abby Wambach and Heather O'Reilly paired up.
- US Soccer has written an open letter to US Soccer supporters about security concerns at the Gold Cup final.
- There is a report that four more unnamed Mexican players tested positive for PEDs. That's a whole lot of tainted chicken......
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.