July 14, 2012
After last Saturday's 2-0 win at home vs Dayton and a scoreless draw in Wilmington on Thursday, the Rhinos are in second place as they travel to first place Orlando City tonight.
Rhinos F Kendell McFayden was named the USL PRO League Player of the Week and D Danny Earls joined McFayden on the Team of the Week for what they did versus Antigua & Dayton.
The Rhinos also added rookie left back Chris Estridge who didn't stick with Vancouver or Real Salt Lake in MLS this season.
Estridge made his Rhinos debut when he came on for Quavas Kirk in the 70th minute in Wilmington.
News & Notes:
- The MISL has announced their 2012 combine that will take place in Kansas City on September 27-30.
- The Missouri Comets have added a pair of Danes to their attack.
- Hope Solo's perscription PMS medication contained a banned diuretic, but she will not be banned from the Olympics for what was deemed an honest mistake.
- Interim Atlanta Silverbacks head coach Eric Wynalda got his first professional coaching win this week and his replacement was named as well.
- The NY Cosmos are set to join the NASL in 2013. Grant Wahl has a nice piece on the news and what the Cosmos have planned.
- MLS commish Don Garber had a comment on the Cosmos news after it had long been rumored that MLS wanted to place a team in NY City.
- Northern Virginia is trying to get an NASL franchise, as well.
- John Spencer has been let go as the Portland Timbers head coach.
- Seattle fan favorite Roger Levesque is going to retire after Wednesday's friendly vs Chelsea.
- Vancouver has sent Sebastien LeToux to NY for Dane Richards and allocation money.
- The Red Bulls also picked up back up GK Bill Gaudette from LA.
- Toronto FC traded DP Julien de Guzman to FC Dallas.
- I don't know what ESPY was worse: Jeremy Lin over Alex Morgan or Beckham winning best MLS player.
- KCKRS talks to USWNT MF Carli Lloyd about the Olympics and the future of pro women's soccer in the US.
- Sporting KC and Seattle advanced to the USOC Final this week.
- DC United is thinking big after they added to their ownership group this week.
- Brian Mullan made peace with Steve Zakuani this week.
- If Didier Drogba didn't sign with a bad Chinese team for the money , then why did he?
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.