April 30, 2008
The long awaited deal with Clear Channel radio became official yesterday and Country 107.3 FM is the new radio home of the Rochester Rhinos.
I tuned it to 107.3 FM on the way home from the pre-season gameon Friday evening and the reception was a lot better than what I received listening to the Rhinos post-game show last season. Although, the 6pm start likely helped that out.
This new deal will also give the Rhinos more of an advertising presence on the other Clear Channel stations such as 95.1 FM The Fox, The Drive 100.5 FM, WHAM 1180 AM, and WHTK 1280 AM.
The Rhinos also announced that Bo Bice will be holding a concert following the home opener on Saturday, May 17th.
It will be interesting to see what other acts they can line up this season.
In less than ideal news, the Rhinos aren't going to pay what the owner of the Kleen Brite lot wants in the way of rent to turn that site into a Rhinos controlled parking lot. It will be interesting to see
News & Notes:
- The Ronaldo saga continues as he's hiding out after the story from over the weekend. This is almost as good as the Roger Clemens fiasco!
- Jeff Bradley latest First XI talks about the top duos in MLS history. I can't believe Etcheverry and Raul Diaz Arce didn't make the list!
- The tug of war between Chicago and NY over Lider Marmol seems to be over with the Fire signing the Paraguyan defender.
- Pat Onstad will get yet another ring on Saturday.
- I have to laugh at this take on Landon Donovan's "Classlessness". Landon was doing the same celebration he's been doing for a while now and Preki needs to get mad at his defense for letting the LA forward get a hat trick in a Superclasico match up.
- Nick Green and Martin Rogers both look at Donovan's torrid start to the 2008 season for LA.
- US Soccer Players.com has a Q&A with ESPN2 MLS color commentator John Harkes. Ridge Mahoney's latest piece at SI.com talks about how ESPN2's broadcasts have gone this year with Harkes and JP Dellecamera.
- Add Jay DeMerit to the list of American players that may need a new club this summer.
- Luis Bueno talks about the fate of the three Cuban defectors that had tried out with LA and Chivas USA. It appears that they may be headed to a trial with the Seattle Sounders or the Puerto Rico Islanders next.
- Don Garber is telling Portland to show him even more money. $40 million to be exact.........
- Goal.com lists Blackbaud Stadium (Charleston Battery) and WakeMed Soccer Park (Carolina RailHawks) as two of it's top 10 places in the US to watch a soccer game.
I wonder where Frontier Field would have landed on that list a few years ago?
- I'm seeing links to this new Nike ad all over the place. But, I have to wait to get home to view it.............
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.