In a move I've been expecting since the USL brass took in a Rhinos game at Marina Autos Stadium over a month ago, the Rhinos announced today that they will play in the USL PRO League in 2011.
The USL expects to have 18 to 20 teams in the league next season and the likes of the Charleston Battery , Charlotte Eagles , the Richmond Kickers , the Harrisburg City Islanders , the Dayton Dutch Lions , and the Pittsburgh Riverhounds have also announced that they will play in the USL PRO League next season.
The USL has also announced a Caribbean Division with two Puerto Rican clubs, Sevilla Football Club Puerto Rico and Club Atlético River Plate Puerto Rico, and Barracuda FC of Antigua & Barbuda.
The USL also announced that the Austin Aztex will relocate to Orlando, Florida and be re-named Orlando City as they too join the USL PRO League.
With the cash strapped Real Maryland Monarchs as the only USL-2 team from 2010 to not join the USL PRO League, it will be interesting to see where the other clubs come from.
And while the Rhinos would likely love to see teams pop up in say Buffalo and Syracuse, I can't see that happening.
As usual, we're going to have a very interesting off season.
News & Notes:
- The Puerto Rico Islanders took care of business at home by getting a 2-0 win over Carolina in the first leg of the USSF D2 Pro League finals. As the Rhinos can attest, the RailHawks have their work cut out for themselves.
- The 2010 MLS playoff field is now set.
- Alex Nimo doesn't want to leave Portland. I wonder what Real Salt Lake will say about that?
- Leicester City might be trying to get David Beckham on loan during the MLS off season.
- Speaking of Beckham, I always thought that Beckham and an expansion team in New York City made sense.
- PSV torched Feyenoord over the weekend and the 10-0 scoreline was not a typo.
- This is a really cool video about the history of Fulham FC.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.