July 23, 2009
Kindel is a veteran of the USL 1st Division and has two league titles on his resume. I like this addition to the Rhinos back line.
McFarlane had 5 goals this season playing in the T&T Pro League. But, only time will tell whether he can produce offensively for the Rhinos.
At 6'4", he does add another big guy that should be good in the air ala Atieno and Ukah. If the Rhinos are going to continue with the approach of attacking up the wings and sending crosses into the box, I can see how he would fit in.
News & Notes:
- First Montreal cuts Sandro Grande and now Vancouver has cut defender Wesley Charles who had the spat with Charles Gbeke a few weeks ago.
- The USMNT Blog has you covered if you are looking for tidbits ahead of tonight's US-Honduras Gold Cup semifinal.
- Abby didn't get goal #101 last night, but she did help Christine Nairn score her first goal for the full national team in the USWNT's second straight 1-0 win over Canada.
- Rob Clark wasn't happy about having to potentially go on the road for the Open Cup final and now Seattle is ticked about having to travel to the east coast. Well if your bid wasn't to play at 1pm on Tuesday afternoon.....
- Steve Davis has a very funny take on DC United playing at home all the time in the Open Cup.
- Here is Devo's take on the DC United video highlights of Tuesday's game.
- DC's Boyzzz Khumalo is out 2 to 6 weeks after surgery to repair his injured wrist.
- Steven Goff has more information on the whole issue about where the US-Mexico game will be broadcast in the US.
- The LA Riot Squad has made a public response to the events of the weekend between themselves and a one Mr. David Beckham.
- Soucie on Soccer doesn't like the idea of Landon Donovan to Livorno in Serie A. He suggests Fiorentina as a better fit as they actually have a shot of playing in Europe. I think Livorno is a nice team to move to as he is likely to play there.
- Ridge Mahoney has a look at the depth of the USMNT pool a year ahead of the World Cup.
- I love this British take: Booing Beckham means US Soccer is finally credible. I would have thought beating Spain would have done that? When's the last time England beat Spain?
- And on that topic, I loved Landon Donovan's take at the end of the speech that he gave when accepting the USMNT's ESPY for upsetting Spain. I look forward to that day as well!
- Atlanta and MLS? Really?
- Danny Szetela has gotten the all clear to play for DC United.
- I finally set up a Twitter account for Kick This! I'll try and keep it updated with the latest show happenings. And if you want to shoot guest ideas or questions @kickthis, feel free.
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.