With the injury to Atiba Charles and T-Bone Nonseu away with the Ugandan National Team, the Rhinos have been looking to add depth at the center back position.
The Rhinos announced that they have signed Ross Smith who grew upin Canada, played his college soccer at the University of Rhode Island, and has been plying his trade in the UK thanks to his dual Canadian-Scottish citizenship.
Smith must wait for the July 15th International Transfer Window to open up before he can suit up for the Rhinos and he will count as a foreigner in any potential US Open Cup matches.
For now, he does provide another healthy body in training for head coach Darren Tilley.
News & Notes:
- The USL 1st Division Team of the Week has been announced. And it should be no surprise that Mauricio Salles is the Player of the Week after his two goal, one assist performance against Vancouver. Ze Roberto's two assists landed him on the Team of the Week as well.
- The FC Dallas players are happy to finally have their new head coach named.
- Should Freddy Adu be worried that Benfica was going after a 20 year old playmaker?
- After seeing Dan Steinberg's DC Bog having not one, not two, but three posts about DC United and hair cuts, I'm wondering if his head would explode if his head would explode if Josh Bolton signed with DC?
- Did the Whitecaps have a bit of a hangover from Friday night when they faced Montreal last night?
- DC United is going to try and make Luciano Emilio happy. That 2nd DP slot from the Freddy Adu trade is coming in handy.
- Grant Wahl has some good stuff in his latest article and blog posting at SI.com. I just wish he had taken some time out from the Euro 2008 coverage to have something about the US opening up World Cup qualifying on Sunday.....
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to email@example.com. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them.