Seattle Sounders FC is getting tons of run ahead of Thursday night's sold out MLS and franchise opener against the Red Bulls.
It looks like Seattle's "rookie" MLS season will surpass Toronto FC as the most successful expansion season in MLS history.
And with both cities having USL roots, you can only expect that to help the bids of cities like Portland and Vancouver.
My favorite bit that came out yesterday was former LA Galaxy supporter turned Seattle minority owner Drew Carey proclaiming the Galaxy as the expansion team in MLS this season.
But it will be interesting whether half a season of a short timing David Beckham is better than Freddie Ljungberg coming off of knee surgery........
News & Notes:
- A Colorado Rapids blogger expects Scott Palguta to be a back-up defender to Jordan Harvey and Ivan Guerrero as a left-sided back. I wonder if that's what Guppy told Scott?
- Barca may be heading north in their plan to get into MLS since the Miami-Barca bid is dead.
- LA will be missing their new goalkeeper for Sunday's opener as Donovan Ricketts is out with a hamstring injury.
- Houston forward Kei Kamara was given a two game suspension by MLS for a foul versus San Jose in a pre-season game. Nick Garcia getting under someone's skin? No way!
- Speaking of soccer stadiums and politics.......
- OK, so Alexi Lalas says that MLS needs to prove itself to the world of soccer. Really..........
- Is Jeff Parke headed to Seattle? That would certainly make Kasey Keller happy.
- Personally, I don't want to know if Blanco has an itch.
- So much for Landon Donovan being free after this season. This blog posting says that MLS has two more option years on his deal that would keep him in MLS until after the 2011 season.
- I may not like early power rankings, but I love bold predictions like these.
- The Colorado Rapids are trying to blanket the town in advertising. I like Scarf Seattle better. Largely because that is cheaper for the club!
- I love how the RailHawks threw a sponsor plug into a little piece about Caleb Norkus proposing before a pre-season game. Classy stuff!
- Beckham was better with better talent around him? And here I thought Beckham was going to eleveate those players around him because he was such a talented playmaker?
The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, and not necessarily those of the Rochester Rhinos or SoccerSam.com. Feel free to send any comments or complaints to firstname.lastname@example.org. James promises to read (but not to respond) to all of them